The collection of paintings
The Ursulines of Quebec have a collection of about 270 paintings, including twenty artworks from the Desjardins collection. This collection, established in the early 19th century by the French priests Jean-Philippe and Louis-Joseph-Louis Desjardins, brings together about 180 paintings acquired through public auctions of works confiscated during the French Revolution. The paintings kept by the Ursulines were made by French painters and others of Flemish and Italian inspiration in the 17th and 18th centuries and represent a prestigious ensemble that decorates the exterior chapel.
The Ursulines also possess many paintings from the Jesuits’ collection acquired after the death of the last Quebec’s Jesuit, Father Jean-Joseph Casot, in 1800. Finally, the collection contains numerous artworks from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.