The building

The Musée des Ursulines de Québec is located in a building just outside the walls of the monastery, on the foundations of the house of the community’s benefactress, Madeleine Chauvigny of Peltrie (1603-1671).

Over the centuries, the building suits the needs of the monastery and the nuns. Serving in turn as a rental property, a boarding school for Native girls, a day school, a teacher training school, a juniorate and a provincialate, the La Peltrie house also hosts famous tenants such as the first bishop of New France, Francois de Montmorency-Laval, between 1659 and 1661.

Since 1979, this 19th century building houses the museum’s exhibitions.